Thursday, March 04, 2010

Thursday Meme

Brought to you by Booking Through Thursday

In honor of National Grammar Day … it IS “March Fourth” after all … do you have any grammar books? Punctuation? Writing guidelines? Style books?

More importantly, have you read them?

How do you feel about grammar in general? Important? Vital? Unnecessary? Fussy?


I'm an English major. I have TONS of grammar and style books scattered throughout my house. Have I read them? Not cover to cover but I refer to them constantly. Loads. All the time.

I feel that grammar is very important. It is a foundation. However, I also think that it can be fussy at times. In particular, I think using whom in everyday language sounds pretentious, lol. Yeah, yeah. You're a grammar whiz that knows when to use who and whom, but is it really necessary to make the distinction all the time?

I also think, being the parent of a texting teenager, that we are raising a generation of grammatically impaired kids. IKR, IDK, OMG, thx, kk, sup, ur, and tons of other shortened and abbreviated words are becoming everyday terminology. I use them myself which makes me a bad example, lol. My daughter purposely misspells words in texts that she knows how to spell otherwise but does so because it's cool. I worry that it will become a habit. This generation of kids will be leading our country someday.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I havent done much agreeing today. *sighs* Here's mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a parent of 3 texting teenagers I could not agree more. My BTT answer is located here: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/03/booking-through-thursday-grammar.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! There are some things that irk me like incorect usage of certain words (you and you're, etc.) but know I'm not perfect at grammar either.
    It's funny when I popped over here to read your post, because I had commented about texting in my BBT too. I was trying to find the article but there was a mention on the news a coule months ago about how texting and social media is really contributing to poor commnication skills with the next generation. We are just not in the age of having to write an actual letter anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori~~Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I love when people agree with me, heheh.

    Jennifer~~Texting teens are going to be the downfall of civilization. I'm convinced.

    Pam~~I wouldn't mind reading that article if you ever find it. I love technology, but in this case, I think it's a detriment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still get confused of when to use whom. And whose.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.