Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Recipe of the Week

My mother-in-law (Hi Vickie!!) wanted this recipe, so I thought I'd share it with everyone.

Pan-Fried Bass

1 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp water
1 large egg white
1/4 c seasoned bread crumbs
2 tbsps cornmeal
4 (6oz) bass fillets skinned
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 tsp butter
4 lemon wedges

1.)Heat large, non-stick skillet over medium heat.
2.)Combine flour, salt, and pepper in large zip-lock bag. Combine water and egg white in a shallow dish and stir with a whisk. Combine breadcrumbs and cornmeal in another shallow dish.
3.)Working with one fillet at a time, place fish in bag and shake to coat. Dip in egg white mixture, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining fillets.
4.)Add oil and butter to skillet and melt. Add fillets to pan, and cook 5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with fork. Serve with lemon wedges.

These are my own tips with this recipe. I quadruple the flour, salt, and pepper, cuz those amounts just aren't enough. Either that, or I use really large fillets. I also use a little more cornmeal and breadcrumbs too. I always run out. I use slightly more oil and butter too. But not a lot. The whole point of this recipe is to NOT deep-fry the fish. But I use enough oil that each fillet gets a golden brown. One last thing, bass isn't a requirement. We use Haddock and it works just as well. The girls come back for seconds and thirds. They just love this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.