Friday, January 25, 2008

The Bourne Identity

The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum
Copyright 1980
535 Pages
Reason for reading: I read this book for the 1st in a Series Challenge.
Days to finish: 11 days

Synopsis:
Jason Bourne. He has no past. And he may have no future.
His memory is blank. He only knows
that he was flushed out of the Mediterranean Sea, his body riddled with bullets. There are a few clues. A frame of microfilm surgically implanted beneath the flesh of his hip. Evidence that plastic surgery has altered his face. Strange things that he says in his delirium -- maybe code words. Initial: "J.B." And a number on the film negative that leads to a Swiss bank account, a fortune of four million dollars, and, at last, a name: Jason Bourne.
But now he is marked for
death, caught in a maddening puzzle, racing for survival through the deep layers of his buried past into a bizarre world of murderous conspirators -- led by Carlos, the world's most dangerous assassin. And no one can help Jason Bourne but the woman who once wanted to escape him.

This book was okay. There were parts that were full of excitement, drama, and action that were totally enjoyable to read. Then you get to the parts where...I guess you would call it background information. It was scenes that explained the motivations of the different factions that were after Bourne. I found these chapters and sections to be extremely boring. It didn't help that Ludlum uses names like the Russians do. You would have one man that would be referred to in four different ways and I often found myself trying to figure out who everybody was and what part they were playing in the drama.

If I were to rate it, I'd give it a three out of five because it wasn't horrible by any means but it also hasn't earned a "favorite" spot on my book shelf. I can't believe I'm saying this and I will deny it to the bitter end if ever accused of saying this but...I think the movie was better than the book. SHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! And to conclude, I plan on reading the rest of the series just to see how it turns out. The book and the movie, thus far, were totally different.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's okay to say you like a movie better than a book. This once. I mean, the movie is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah but I feel like it's sacrilege or something to say it out loud, lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.