Saturday, March 15, 2008

Vacation Days 2, 3, and 4

I'm still alive. We've been staying pretty busy. My first full day in Cali we went to Encinitas so that I could buy my daughter a California Webkinz (yes, I know they're all the same but she wanted one that came from California) and we ate some Mexican from a dive Mexican place. It was excellent. The scary looking places have the best food. And because I was exhausted from travelling, that's all we did the first day.

Yesterday, we hit L.A. We started out at the Santa Monica pier which was very cool. We walked out to the end and back and I bought a magnet to remember it by. We also bought a lemonade from the original Hotdog on a Stick which was yummy.

Then we had to try out Tito's Tacos. This will sound familiar to the Rachel Ray fans since this is one of her favorite fast food places to eat. Tito's tacos, burritos, chips, salsa, and guacamole were excellent. YUMMO!!!!

After lunch, we went to the La Brea Tar Pits so that nobody could say that I didn't try to educate myself while I was gone. I was duly impressed by all the dino bones. I tried to buy a magnet there but they were sold out.

Next, we went to the Farmer's Market and bought some crap. Well, actually, I got some tea and some stuff for my kids. That was cool and shopping is always fun.

Then we went to China Town and Olvera Street to buy more crap...I mean meaningful souvenirs that will last a lifetime.

After that, we drove into Beverly Hills where I about had a heart attack at all the shops. I took a picture of Mikimoto's store front and the lady in the car behind us laughed. I also took a picture of somebody's gorgeous multimillion dollar home. We also had a little road rage at a stop light. Some fool thought it was necessary for us to turn left in front of oncoming traffic so that he could get to his destination faster. I yelled, waved my arms, and called him a bad name. I miss California road rage. Nobody does it better than Californians except for maybe New Yorkers.

After that, we drove down Hollywood Blvd and gawked at the weirdos. They were NOT in short supply. We stopped at the Graumann's Chinese Theater, took pictures, looked at the footprints, and fit in with all the other tourists doing the same thing. I tried to see the Hollywood sign but by this time it was dark and they didn't have it lit up. I could tell where it was supposed to be though so I wasn't too disappointed.

All in all, a completely thrilling day. I have pictures that I'll post when I get home. It's too much of a hassle to do it from Jennifer's.

Today, we drove up into the mountains, 5,550 feet to be exact, to the Palomar Mountain Observatory. More educational sightseeing. On the way back to Jennifer's we stopped at the Julian Apple Pie Company for, you guessed it, apple pie. Yum, yum, and YUMMO!! We also bought a caramel apple pie and an apple mountain berry pie to take home. Oh! And guess what we see as we're getting ready to leave the pie place!!! Flurries! We were far enough into the mountains that it was only in the 30's. It was COLD!! And, oh yeah. We stopped at a roadside fruit stand on the way up the mountain and bought oranges, avocados, and lemons. 5 pounds of oranges for $3.50!!! You can't beat that with a stick. I don't remember the last time I saw oranges that cheap. Probably when I lived here, heheh.

In our eating excursions, we also had In and Out and Weinerschnitzel. California staples.

Tonight, we're just being lazy which is a theme that we plan on continuing tomorrow as well. We're worn out. And gas is freaking expensive here. EX-PEN-SIVE!!!! Holy, moly, cow.

Lastly, thanks to Jennifer's mom for her contribution the 2008 version of Jennifer and Trisha's Vacation. You're a gem. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.