Friday, March 27, 2009

Georgia Pictures

Here are some pictures that I took while in Georgia. All in all, I didn’t really take all that many but the ones that I have are pretty neat.

IMG_0034

Statue in Chippewa Square which is where the bench scene in Forrest Gump was filmed.

IMG_0038

Church spire from which the feather in Forrest Gump was dropped.

IMG_0039 IMG_0040

The two pictures above are of Savannah gray brick. There is quite a story behind the bricks which today, are worth $40 to $50 a piece. These bricks were made by slaves and when the slaves left Savannah, they took the recipe for the bricks with them. That’s why they are worth so much money and they are very historical to the city of Savannah. These bricks above are found in the courtyard of the Sorrel-Weed house. You will probably need to click on the pictures to make them bigger, but you can actually see finger indentations in the bricks that were made by slaves when they were forming the bricks. I really thought that was so very neat. Actual, touchable, history. Anyway…

IMG_0041

This is the Mercer house which is where the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil was filmed.

IMG_0044  These picture are of a 300 year old Live Oak tree which is also the oldest tree in Savannah.

IMG_0044

The following pictures are of The Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist Church. It was absolutely stunning. We had never been in such a magnificent church before and were all suitably impressed.

IMG_0046

IMG_0048

IMG_0049

IMG_0050

IMG_0051

IMG_0052

IMG_0053

This last picture is of recruits marching at Parris Island. The youngest child had never been to Parris Island before and the oldest was only a year and a half when she was there.

IMG_0054

All pictures can be clicked upon and made bigger for better viewing. I really recommend that for the brick and church pictures.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing those pictures of Savannah! DH & I visited about 5 years ago for our anniversary when we went to Hilton Head. I'd luv to get back to Savannah ~ we took the tour of the city & Midnight is one of my fave's! We were told not to touch the moss on the live oaks!

    http://mamamentor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are gorgeous photos, Trisha. I hope someday I will be able to visit Savannah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindi~~I'm really glad you liked the pictures. Yeah, the moss harbors chiggers which is a very unpleasant biting bug, lol.

    LF~~Thanks. It's def a great place to visit should you ever get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AH..the Mercer House. Still so beautiful. I remember the front lawn looked as though someone cut each blade seperately.

    Cool pictures. Makes me want to go for a weekend visit and stroll around the town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam~~I wish we'd had the time to tour Mercer House but it was really neat just to see it from the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed the photos. Always wanted to go to Savannah! Check out my photos of Amish Country, Ohio. My blog is New to Blogging

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.