Saturday, March 16, 2013

To Miss or Not to Miss: Episode 1

Since 1998, we've made the following moves:

Ohio to Florida
Florida to Ohio
Ohio to California
California to Vermont
Vermont to North Carolina
North Caroling to California

And now we're getting ready to move from California to Florida. Never in all those years have I had such conflicting feelings about moving. Usually, I'm just plain excited for the change, to go somewhere new, or to leave behind a bad situation. This time, I'm extremely sad to be leaving San Diego. I love this city. Sure, there are things about it I could do without, namely the traffic and rude/idiot drivers, but for the most part, it's a fabulous city. Fantastic, fabulous, FANTABULOUS! I'm convinced that people that don't like it either:

A) Have Mommy Syndrome - The inability to live far away from their mommies.
B) They just didn't give it enough of a chance.
C) They came here with preconceived notions of what California is like and held onto their close-minded, judgmental attitudes.
D) Plain dumb - Just couldn't deal with living in a city with hundreds of things to do, places to go, people to see, and nearly perfect weather.

On the other hand, living in a trailer park base housing has been nothing but Suckville. To the point where the thought of actually being able to live off base, in a real house, in a real neighborhood, balances out the sadness of leaving. So, for the next few weeks, I'm going to highlight something that I'm going to miss versus something that I'm not going to miss about living in San Diego.

Episode One:

Miss:  Balboa Park. It's the nation's largest urban cultural park. It's full of museums and gardens, a play house, hiking trails...You name it. It has gorgeous architecture too. I know. The San Diego Zoo is also part of the park but I never think of it that way. The zoo is the zoo, the park is the park.

Not Miss:  At least once a week, I nearly run over a little kid, and I'm talking two years old or younger, playing in the street (not exaggerating) while their parents sit on the front porch and watch. I'm not sure when the street became an acceptable playground. I missed that memo. Next time it happens, I'm going to get pictures so you can see I'm not making it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.