Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Military Wife Meme

I found this blog hopping the other day. I thought it made good filler.

How did you and your spouse meet?
We met in 1995 after being set up by my ex-sister-in-law. She and the Mister used to work together.

How old were you when you two met?
We were both 17.

How long have you been together?
We officially started dating April of 1995. We'll be celebrating our 16th wedding anniversary in May.

Where are you and your spouse originally from?
We're both from Ohio. Not the same town though.

How did you feel about him joining the military?
At first I was against it. I didn't like the thought of him going off for 13 weeks for very tough training. We had a 14 month old at the time. It was tough. Eventually, I came around. Looking back, it was the best choice for us.

Where did your spouse go to Basic Training?

Parris Island, SC

Has your spouse ever been deployed?
Yeah. He's been to Japan and Afghanistan.

Ever been to his promotion ceremony?
Umm. I'm trying to think. I've been to several ceremonies over the years but I honestly can't remember if one of them was for a promotion.

How long have you been a military wife?
This September, it will be 15 years. Geez.

Did you marry him before or after he joined?
Before.

How did your husband propose?
He simply asked and I said yes.

Where did you get married?
The courthouse in Marion, Ohio.

How old were you two when you got married?

We were both 18. Young'uns.

Did he wear his uniform on your wedding day?
He wasn't a Marine yet, so no. We probably wouldn't have done the whole military wedding anyway.

Where are you and your spouse currently stationed?
MCAS Miramar in San Diego, CA.

Do you live on base?
We live in military housing but it's not on base. We've actually never lived on any base.

How long were you married when you had to go through your first separation?
Well, if we're going to count boot camp, we would have been married for two years by that time. If we're going to go by his first deployment, that would be after six years of marriage. He's been gone for so many different types of training over 15 years that I can't remember it all.

What is your favorite base so far?

My all time favorite base is MCB Camp Lejeune. It is the epitome of a Marine Corps base in my opinion. One time, I was driving along and all the sudden I start hearing explosions and I'm trying not to freak out. Then I see a sign for the grenade practice area, lol. We've only been stationed at two different bases over the years:  Miramar and Cherry Point. I liked them both for different reasons.

Does your spouse look good in his uniform?
Lol. Yes. I feel fortunate to be married to a man in uniform.

Do you think military life is more advanced than civilian life?
No. Just because we maybe experience more things or different things or live more places doesn't mean that military life is more advanced. I think the mere fact that the military is steeped in tradition and are usually the very last group of people to give up antiquated ideals makes us behind the times if anything. Military life may be tougher in some regards, that's for sure.

Do you like the benefits you receive as a military dependent?
I liked them a lot better 15 years ago before the DoD started whittling away at them. But yes, I like shopping at the commissary and being able to buy discounted tickets on base. I like going to Sea World once a year for free. I like having free movers. Tricare is, sadly, better than most other health insurance. It's better than my sister's who is a nurse. Explain that one. I suppose base housing is a benefit but I have a love/hate relationship with housing. So, yes.

Do you have a lot of military wife friends?
Not so much anymore. I have one neighbor that I'm friendly with but we're not confidants. Most of my friends are former military spouses. I have 2 or 3 military wives that I call friends. I don't get out much anymore, lol.

What is the hardest part of being a military wife?
Boy! This answer sure has changed a lot over the years. Recruiting duty would be at the top of the list by and far. That's only three years though. For the entire 15, being taken for granted as a built in babysitter is probably what I'm most resentful about.

Do you own any military wife stuff?
What's this supposed to mean? I don't have any stickers on my car. The only t-shirts I have are leftovers from recruiting duty and I consider them my "grubby day" t-shirts. I do have my Marine Corps jacket and sweatpants that I bought at Parris Island when the Mister graduated. The jacket still looks like new even though it survived three extremely harsh Vermont winters. The sweatpants have seen better days, lol. I have a D-ring keychain. OH! And I have a sign on my front door that says, "Home is where the Marine Corps Sends Us". I think that probably counts as "military wife stuff".

Do you support your spouse as a member of the military?
This is a dumb question. Then again, I know plenty of wives who have threatened divorce if their husbands reenlist. So, yes. I support my husband. I go where the Marine Corps sends him and do my best to overlook all the other bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.