Wednesday, February 06, 2008

A Quiet Day

I started this post at 8:30 and it's now 9:40. The Mister called and I got distracted, heheh.

Anyway, I had a relatively quiet day. It took effort, but I managed it. I finished reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein for my Lit class. I really liked it which is a shame because I'm going to have to pick it to pieces for my class. I have to decide if my paper is going to be from a Marxist point of view or a feminist point of view. Why can't a story just be a story?

For those of you with kids in middle or elementary school, have you ever assessed how much general knowledge they possess for their age? I'm currently reading this book about classical education and the more I read, the more I am starting to think that our public education system is seriously flawed even more so than I have been thinking for the past seven years.

I'm also re-reading Lord of the Flies. This book is for my business class. Weird, right? This particular business class is about leadership, so if you're read the book, you can see where it fits into the theories in the class. I'm also thoroughly enjoying it.

Are you keeping count? If you include The Reagan Diaries which I consider to be a "grazing" type of book, War and Peace, Lord of the Flies, the classical education book, and Maya Angelou's book which I am starting for my book discussion group, I'm currently reading five books. And next week, I'll be starting Mark Twain's Pudd'nead Wilson and Those Extraordinary Twins. Fun, fun, fun. I also got a shipment of eight books (one of which is Maya's) in the mail today that I wish I could dive into but they're going to have to wait until I can get some of the others finished first. Sometimes it plain sucks being a responsible individual.

On a non-book note...I just got done watching the first season of Showtime's The Tudors on DVD. I absotively LOVED it. Loved it, loved it, loved it. I hauled out my copy of Alison Weir's Henry VIII book for reference while I was watching it. Thankfully, the new season starts next month so I don't have that long to wait for new episodes. There was a lot of historical fact mixed in with the story which made it all the more authentic and enjoyable to watch.

I'm off to put in some time on my homework. No rest for the wicked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.