Thursday, January 12, 2012

1/12/12: Booking Through Thursday




1. What’s your favorite time of day to read?
 I'd read 24 hours a day if I could get away with it. I escape into books. 

2. Do you read during breakfast? (Assuming you eat breakfast.)
I rarely eat breakfast, but if I do, I don't see anything wrong with reading while I eat.

3. What’s your favorite breakfast food? (Noting that breakfast foods can be eaten any time of day.)
My favorite breakfast food is sausage gravy and biscuits. My favorite place to get that is Bob Evans which only happens when we're visiting Ohio. My second favorite place to get it is at home. My sausage gravy rocks.

4. How many hours a day would you say you read?
In my present situation, I read for many hours a day. Yup. Many.

5. Do you read more or less now than you did, say, 10 years ago?
I'd say I read about the same now as I did ten years ago. Reading is one thing in my life that I've always loved consistently and constantly.

6. Do you consider yourself a speed reader?
I'm not really sure what defines a speed reader. I can read a 300-400 page book in a day if I'm able to take the time to do so and if I really like the book. When the last Harry Potter came out, I forced myself to read a third of the book a day so that it would last me three days or else I would have sat and read the whole thing in one day. Is that a speed reader or a speedy reader? 


7. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
I long to travel. I have an ache inside me to see Europe. If I could have a superpower it would be the ability to travel fast whether that would be flying or being able to instantly beam myself places, I wouldn't care.


8. Do you carry a book with you everywhere you go?
In a sense I do. I have both the Kindle and Nook apps on my phone and my phone goes with me everywhere that I do. (I also have iBooks but have never once used it.)

9. What KIND of book?
Kind? As in digital vs. traditional or what genre? Like I said previously, I always carry digital books with me everywhere I go. All different kinds of genres with the exception of nonfiction history. I'm still old school when it comes to my nonfiction books. I like to own physical copies and see them on my book shelves.

10. How old were you when you got your first library card?
I don't know. I was young enough that I don't remember getting my first library card. I just had one.

11. What’s the oldest book you have in your collection? (Oldest physical copy? Longest in the collection? Oldest copyright?) Oh my gosh. Oldest physical copy would be not that old. I buy all my books from book stores and when I go to a used book store, I only buy newer copies that are in great shape. I would love to be a book collector and fill my shelves with first editions of fantastic books. My budget just doesn't allow for it. Longest in my collection would be Animal Farm, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and To Kill a Mockingbird. All of those books I've had since high school. I don't think I've had any books longer than that. That would probably make them the oldest physical copies as well. Oldest copyright...That's really hard. We have works that aren't even under copyright anymore. We have copies of The Odyssey and The Illiad. We have the complete works of Shakespeare. From my Lit classes, I have works from the 14th century. That's just a few examples. So, I'm not really sure how to answer this last part. 


12. Do you read in bed?
I know you're not supposed to, but I read in bed all the time. This is a big reason why I love reading books on my phone because my phone is back lit and I can read without the need of another light.


13. Do you write in your books?
Very, very rarely. I read once that you're supposed to write in your books. Make notes, underline passages, highlight lines, etc. Doing this makes the book yours and it makes you more involved in what you read. At least that's what I read. I don't necessarily agree or disagree, but I have a hard time marking up my books. That being said, it doesn't bother me to crease the spines.


14. If you had one piece of advice to a new reader, what would it be?
Don't read a book just because it's a "classic" or on the best sellers list. Try all different kinds of genres and authors. Lose yourself in a book as often as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.