Wednesday, January 31, 2007

So Much for Monday

I have been so freaking busy I can't figure out what to do first. We're only about half way done unpacking. Why does that take so much longer than packing? We're swimming in packing paper and empty boxes. Our trash and recycling day was Monday and we missed it this week, lol.

So, our stuff arrived in a timely manner and it didn't end up in storage which is all good. The MC decided to finally pay us our travel pay something like 5 days after we had already arrived in N.C. Gotta love the efficiency. Our washer and dryer (which are totally awesome and I love, love, love them) arrived a day late. We've put together 3 desks in two days. The first week of my classes is over and I haven't been able to turn in any of my assignments on time. I was a bit unrealistic in my expectations of being able to get my work done while moving. It was hard to anticipate not being able to find a hotspot once we got here. Our cell phones don't get very good reception in our house. I think it might have something to do with it being brick, and Verizon won't let us out of our contracts. I've been trying to decide if I want to live with having bad reception or pay for a land line.

The house is still great. We have more rooms than furniture, lol. The only negatives are that the kitchen and the bathrooms are tiny. I have so much bathroom and kitchen stuff and nowhere to put it all. I've thrown away so much just to make room.

We met our new landlord yesterday. He seems to be pretty cool. We told him about a couple things in the house that needed repaired and he called his guy while we were there in the office and made arrangements for the repairs to be made. Also, while we were in downtown New Bern, we stopped by the birthplace of Pepsi. I had no idea Pepsi originated in New Bern. We looked around the shop and bought a magnet and then walked back to our car, lol. New Bern seems to be a pretty nice town. We actually live in a smaller community right outside the city limits. Anyway, the girls started school today. Everyone there seems to be so nice and the other kids were really excited to meet the girls. Their first day seemed to go off without a hitch. Both of them made new friends already which is all good.

I know this sounds crazy, but people here are too polite. I think I got used to the aloofness that was the norm in New England and in Cali, it was every man, woman, and child for yourself. And I can't believe we've been here for 5 whole days and I still haven't been out to the beach. NO TIME!!!

I have so much more to say but I have a TON of homework I need to catch up on, so I'm off. I'll try to start updating more regularly from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.