Monday, October 20, 2008

Our Weekend Version 1 Gazillion

I had an awesome Friday night. I attended my first ever virtual wine tasting. How’d it work? Well, at Twitter Moms, there’s a group of Twitter Wine Moms. A variety of wine was chosen for the group and a time to meet up on Twitter. We bought the bottle (or some of us bought whatever we could find. Luckily, I was able to find the suggested bottle.) and then we chatted about the nose, color, taste, etc. on Twitter. At first, I was looking forward to it. Then when the time came, Friday night at 8 pm for me, I was just tired and didn’t care. But once we got started, it was so much fun! It was only supposed to go from 8 to 10 eastern time, but when I signed off after 11, the chat was still going on. As the time progressed and wine was consumed, we totally got off topic and talk of boobs and such started up, heheh, but I still learned a little about wine and I made some new virtual friends. Welcome to Trisha’s Nerdville. I know.

Saturday, the Mister ran in his 10k. This was his second official race and both times he got rained on, lol. Despite being prepared, his right nipple didn’t fare so well, lmao. I wonder if women runners have this same problem since they wear bras? He ran a pretty decent time though and was happy with the results. It boosted his confidence a little as he’s starting to worry about the OBX Marathon in November.

Sunday the oldest child had her first volleyball practice. She had a good time and said that she did pretty good at the skills they were introduced to except for serving. Sometimes, and this is one of those times, I have to wonder how she ended up being my daughter. I hated, and still do, sports and joining in on stuff. She’s a social butterfly. I’m glad she’s not like me in this way. The rest of our Sunday was pretty much affected by my next paragraph.

We got bad news Saturday evening. A friend of ours from Ohio died Friday. It still shocks me to say it. I’ve known Ben since I was ten years old. More than half my life. He was only 36 years old and the cause is still unknown. Almost all my memories of Ben are funny. He told the best stories and could make you laugh no matter what kind of mood you were in. The summer I spent with my brother here in N.C. when I was 16, Ben was there too as he was originally a friend of my brother’s and his wife. We all went to dinner at this Chinese place in Jacksonville called Mai Tai’s. It was amazing that we didn’t get kicked out because Ben was doing this voice and telling these jokes (yeah, they were off-color but what the hell) and we were all laughing so hard that we were totally being obnoxious. I’ll never forget that. He also did a favor for me that summer for which I will always be grateful. The Mister knew Ben before he knew me. They worked together at Donato’s Pizza in Marion and they became friends too. The Mister has lots of his own memories of Ben making him laugh as well. Marion is a weird little town like that where someone knows someone who knows someone else and then they end up related or some weird thing like that. The last time we saw Ben was this time last year in Ohio at our brother-in-law’s funeral. They were also good friends and despite Ben’s profound sadness, he still managed to make us laugh. That was Ben. I’m really going to miss him.

4 comments:

  1. Trisha! I want to do the virtual wine tasting. Maybe next time. I have not been on Twitter in a long time. And I hate that I haven't been by RA in a while. I can't even get the book read for my in person book club. This crazy fall schedule (spouse working at night) is totally kicking my a**. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz~~You should totally join us!! The next tasting is on Nov 21. The web address for Twitter Moms is http://twittermoms.ning.com/ and you'll see the invite for the tasting on the main page. If you join, be sure to add me as a friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about your friend! =(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Pam. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.