Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Stealing

I nabbed this off the blogosphere somewhere.

Here's the rules: Grab the nearest book. Open the book to page 56. Find the fifth sentence. Post the text of the next two to five sentences in your journal/blog along with these instructions…
Don't dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual one: pick the CLOSEST. You’re also supposed to “tag” others to do it but I figure you all can decide for yourselves if you’re going to play or not. If you do, leave me a comment so that I can read your response.

 

The nearest book to me is my textbook “The Norton Anthology:  English Literature”. I don’t think this book could be considered “cool” by any means, heheh.

From page 56:

She, bereft

and blameless, they

foredoomed, cut down

and spear-gored. She,

the woman in shock,

waylaid by grief,

Hoc’s daughter--

how could she not

lament her fate

when morning came

and the light broke

on her murdered dears?

And so farewell

delight on earth,

war carried away

Finn’s troop of thanes

all but a few.

There ya go. That was kind of a pain to type up, lol. For an added bonus, can anyone tell me what piece of literature this selection is from? It’s not much to go on but two names are mentioned and there’s another context clue that should be a pretty good hint.

4 comments:

  1. I think I did that once before but it was a long time ago. I'll play along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I did that once before but it was a long time ago. I'll play along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. I get the Scottish reference with thane so am guessing Tam o Shanter? Or something else Robert Burns? Is Tam o Shanter Burns anyway? Totally a guess here.

    I don't have time to do this (note that my blog is postless these days) but the closest book is New Moon, the second Twilight book. And yes I am reading it right now. He he.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam~~Meme's seem to go round and round, lol.

    Liz~~Not quite. The passage was actually from Beowulf.

    I've noticed that you are being quiet lately. Knock it off! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.