Thursday, August 23, 2007

Thursday Meme

Here's our Thursday Meme courtesy of Booking Through Thursday.

When growing up did your family share your love of books? If so, did one person get you into reading? And, do you have any family-oriented memories with books and reading? (Family trips to bookstore, reading the same book as a sibling or parent, etc.)

My parents have been divorced since the dark ages (read that to be that I don't remember them being married) and I lived with my mom until the age of 12. She was an avid reader when I was little. Nowadays, not so much. However, my dad reads a lot too. I'm not really sure who influenced my love of reading more, but I would probably say my parents had an equal share. My mom introduced me to Stephen King and my dad introduced me to Michael Shaara and we both love Harry Potter. The rest of the authors that I love, I found myself along the way. I'm pretty sure my brother likes to read too and I know my sister does when she can find the time. I don't think any of them read like I do though. When it comes to discussing books, my dad would come in first and my sister second. Sometimes I'll call my dad just to tell him about a book that I've just read because I know he'll be able to discuss the topic even if he hasn't read the book. And my sister and I both love J.D. Robb's In Death series. Since she's on #5 (I think) and I've read all the one's that have been published to date, I have to be careful not to give anything away to her so we don't discuss them very often.

OH! OH! My aunt Carla loves to read. I almost forgot about her. I remember going to her house as a teenager and borrowing her romances from shelves completely overflowing of books. When I see my shelves shoved full to exploding with my books, I always think about her, lol. I suppose that would be my "family oriented" memory of books. I don't really have any others.

What's really sad to me is that neither one of my girls seem to like to read for fun. They're young, so maybe it'll come eventually, but I don't see any signs of it yet. The one thing from me that I wanted my girls to inherit is my love of reading. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

8 comments:

  1. I do hope your girls pick it up eventually. You get so much out of a love of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heahter. I'm hoping that I can find a balance between being encouraging and being pushy about something I feel so strongly about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll bet your girls just haven't fallen in love with a series yet. Once they find that series, it'll go from there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of my parents are also readers. My brother kind of is, but it is something he's grown into later in his life whereas growing up books weren't really his thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I can't ever remember my mom picking up a book. My dad used to read lots of westerns though. So far, so good with my kids. My son is losing a bit of interest now that he's in Jr. High, but the girls still love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bookgal~~That's my hope too.

    Literary Feline and Stephanie~~It's hard for me to understand how someone could lose interest in reading. It happens but those people must be crazy, lol. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so great that you can discuss the books you read with your dad - what a great bond to have.

    I went through a lengthy period of time when I didn't read at all. It wasn't so much that I lost interest, I just didn't have the time with work and family. Now that my daughter is a teenager and can pretty much take care of herself, I'm glad that I've found the time to get back to reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daphne~~

    I can relate. Finding time to read can be a challenge. During the semester, I usually have to steal time in the middle of the night to read for pleasure. The rest of the time, I'm studying or taking care of the house and kids.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.