Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Workplace Hangout

This is a topic I've had in the back of my mind for about six months now. Basically, since C has gotten into the swing of things at his new office.

Is a person's office, shop, cubicle, or what have you a place to hang out? Is it proper for spouses to just drop by because they were in the area?

C's Marines have been catching flack because their significant others like to walk into the shop like they own the place even though much of it is dangerous due to the nature of the work being done there. It's one thing to stop by to pick your spouse up for lunch or in an emergency type of situation but it's another to stop by to shoot the shite. Know what I'm saying? I don't even call C at work unless it's urgent. I may text him from time to time, however, but I consider that to be unobtrusive and can be ignored if necessary. Maybe I'm just making excuses for myself though.

My new friend wanted to stop by the shop because her husband is going to be working there too so she wanted to see what it was like and to meet everyone. I told her that I don't do that and she looked at me like I had grown three heads. I've always thought that this is unprofessional but since C has been a Marine for forever, I don't really have much to compare it to. Is this sort of thing acceptable in a "normal" job? I've always gotten the impression that it's more acceptable in the Marine Corps than it would be in the real world.




And if any of my military wife reader's do this and think I'm being bitchy or singling them out, I'm not and I had no idea that you do that and think it's nifty. This is just my opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:14 PM

    I'm the same way. I would never just swing by the "shop." I also don't call my hubby (Marine) at work because I just don't think that's right. I mean, if someone is at work that means they are supposed to be working, right? In an emergency I would do it but otherwise not without a good reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least I'm not alone. I've always felt that I've been in the minority on this.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.