Friday, July 11, 2008

Classics Meme

I got this one from Josette’s again. She must like memes as much as I do.

What is the best classic you were “forced” to read in school (and why)?
I liked reading Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies in high school. I also liked A Separate Peace and Huckleberry Finn. I still have those book, the actual ones I read in high school with the exception of Lord of the Flies, on my book shelf, lol. Why? Because the stories were interesting and I cared about what happened to the characters. Also, the language was easy to read. They weren’t Shakespeare.
What was the worst classic you were forced to endure (and why)?
The Scarlet Letter. I HATED that book. That was pure torture. Hated. YUCK! Why? Because it was freaking boring. Maybe I should try rereading it as an adult. I might have a different opinion.
Which classic should every student be required to read (and why)?
I have no idea. What makes any book better than another?

Which classic should be put to rest immediately (and why)?
I would say The Scarlet Letter because I think capital punishment in schools should be outlawed.
**Bonus** Why do you think certain books become “classics”?
Who knows? Probably because somewhere along the way, some self-important blowhard said that a book was wonderful and it became an instant classic. Also, I think books that have controversial themes become classic because of all the attention said themes garnered. Personally, in my quest to read more “classic” novels, I’ve come to realize that the term is overused and overrated.

3 comments:

  1. oh, I hated the the scarlet letter too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't mind The Scarlett Letter, but I am not sure I'd want to reread it. I say, skip it. I never had to read Animal Farm and still haven't, even on my own. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam~~I remember most of my class feeling the same way.

    LF~~Animal Farm was pretty ok. I liked how the animals represented Stalin, Lenin, and other political figures and parties of the time. It gave the story more depth than it just being about animals taking over the world, lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.