Thursday, July 10, 2008

Thursday Meme

Courtesy of Booking Through Thursday:

What would you do if, all of a sudden, your favorite source of books was unavailable?

Whether it’s a local book shop, your town library, or an internet shop … what would you do if, suddenly, they were out of business? Devastatingly, and with no warning? Where would you go for books instead? What would you do? If it was a local business you would try to help out the owners? Would you just calmly start buying from some other store? Visit the library in the next town instead? Would it be devastating? Or just a blip in your reading habit?

 

My favorite place to buy new books is Barnes & Noble. It’s hard to imagine them going out of business or every single store burning to the ground. However, if they did I’d just shop at Amazon, Books A Million, or any of the other chain bookstores until they rebuilt. I definitely wouldn't call it devastating since there's a plethora of stores to shop for books.

I also have a used bookstore in my neighborhood that I frequent. I’d be sad if that store burnt to the ground or if they went out of business because it’s owned and operated by an older couple who are very nice and helpful. I would do whatever I could to help them clean up and maybe even rebuild if they had the heart for it. There’s another used bookstore in town called The Next Chapter that looks interesting but I have yet to check out. I'd probably start shopping there for used books.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I have several sources for my books so I think I could easily move on. Although, I love the thrill of teh hunt at my used book store. I'd be sad if it were ever taken away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I figure too. There are so many places to shop that, while the loss of the acutal books would be a shame, there plenty of alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in an area where there are quite a few book resources available--if not directly in town than close by. I think I would be more upset for the store owners than for myself if their bookstore burnt down. What an awful mess to have to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LF~~No matter what happens, I'd always have the Internet. I order most of my books online anyway. Like you, I'd be sad for the owners and the loss of the books.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.