Tuesday, September 18, 2007

R.I.P. Book Review #1



The Laughing Corpse by Laurell K. Hamilton

This is only the second book of Hamilton's that I have read to date. I find it amazing that she can write about zombies, vampires, and ghouls and not make it sound like a really bad B movie.

In The Laughing Corpse, Anita Blake is approached by a potential client to raise a zombie. This is pretty typical, if you can call zombie-raising typical, work for Anita but this is not a "normal" zombie. She would have to sacrifice a "hornless goat" which is a human sacrifice in layman's terms. Refusing to do so, she is relentlessly pursued and harassed (as only Anita can be) to perform this task by a man who cannot understand how someone would turn down 1.5 million dollars.

Meanwhile, Anita is working with the St. Louis police in an effort to solve the brutal slayings of two different families. These deaths are unlike any that she has seen before in their gruesomeness and it pushes Anita to her limit.

On another tangent, Anita is summoned by the new vamp leader of St. Louis. Finding him almost irresistibly attractive, Anita finds herself needing his help while at the same time, hating him and everything that he is.

As a guilty pleasure read, I rate this book a 9 out of 10. It was thoroughly enjoyable and I cannot wait to get my eager hands on the third installment of the Anita Blake series.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.