Monday, December 08, 2008

Get Your Briefs On

I have a brief update for you all.

First of all, after I received that rather interesting voicemail from those people, I worried a little bit about the last e-mail that I sent them. So, I forwarded the whole conversation to my attorney and she assured me that I had done nothing illegal. That’s what I thought, but in situations like this, you can never be too sure.

Secondly, our property management guy, Ed, was able to get into the house through a window this morning. He reported that there was no major damage to the interior of the house. He said it needed a major cleaning, minor repairs, and paint throughout though. He also said that the yard is still a massive mess. They even left either a snow mobile or a 4 wheeler (can’t remember what Ed said it was) there. It also turns out that those people have a weird idea of what “vacated” means because Ed said that there was still wood smoldering in the fireplace this morning. Whatever. I’m waiting to hear back from my attorney about what I can do with their property that they left at the house and how soon I can have the locks changed. I’m hoping that she says today because Ed is on standby. If not, he’ll do it first thing in the morning.

Cleaning, repairs, and trash hauling isn’t cheap. You’re allowed to sue for up to $5,000 in small claims court and with court and legal fees, we’ll be pushing, if not exceeding, that max. I’ve never been to court before. I wonder if I can add a new outfit to their list of expenses, lol.

Now that I have a more complete idea of what I’m dealing with, I’m in a much better frame of mind. I haven’t cried since Saturday, lol.

Now, I’m off for lunch and then back to work. Oh. Did I mention that I’ve taken on a third client over the weekend? YUP! I was pretty excited about that and it’s wonderful to have something positive to focus on.

3 comments:

  1. I went and looked at those photos from your last post. WOW...what low lifes.
    We once had a renter that did the same thing. My husband had to go down during Thanksgiving one year and remove all the crap that was left. Oh, it was left because she had been arrested!
    I just can't wrap my head around anyone who would treat someone else's property this way. I never did anything like that when I was renting, yet, there are people who do. It just really irks me at the level of disrepect. I hope you get some money from them to clean it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:50 AM

    I'm glad to hear that the inside is better than the outside. It still sucks how much you have to clean up after them.

    Congrats on the new client!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam~~Wow! Arrested? I don't understand people either. I would never dream of doing that to someone elses, or my own for that matter, property.

    Dana~~Yeah. It was a relief. I had all kinds of crazy pictures in my head of what the inside was going to look like.

    And thanks! My new client is a fellow mom and the work is fun. Can't ask for more than that.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.