Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Making Up

I just got done saying how I haven’t updated the way that I should be updating and here I am with two posts in one day. I’m in a reflective mood now.

You know the saying that if you have no regrets then you really haven’t lived your life? Or something to that effect. I think that I agree but I have to wonder…Is that just an excuse or an explanation for saying or doing something that you shouldn’t have or not doing or saying something that you should have? Do regrets come in any other form than actions or words?

15 years ago I was a sophomore in high school. I was 16. Thinking about being 16 makes me want to cry, lol. Anyway, I had this teacher who made our class (I believe it was Sociology but I can’t remember) write letters to ourselves to be delivered sometime after graduation. The purpose of this exercise was to see how our perceptions would change with time and life’s experiences. I recently found out that when Mr. Hoying tried sending me my letter, it was returned as undeliverable. Big surprise. How many times have I moved since graduation?? I can’t decide if I really want to read that letter or not. I have little memory of the things that I wrote but I wrote pages. It ended up being sort of a diary. How dumb is this letter going to make me feel? After being urged to do so, I e-mailed my former teacher and gave him my current mailing address. He responded this morning saying my letter will be here in a few days. Wow. The Mister says that I’m making too much of this, but I know myself and I know who I was 15 years ago and I’m pretty sure that my letter is going to make me feel like a complete idiot, lol. How would you feel about receiving your 15 year old thoughts in the mail?

Anyway, I know that a few people that I went to high school with read my blog and I’m sure they are in contact with others in our class as well. Mr. Hoying said that he has numerous letters that were returned to him. If you want yours or know how to get a hold of someone who would, let him know. His e-mail address can be found at Lehman Catholic’s website.

7 comments:

  1. Frankly, I was an idiot at 16 and probably would have said a bunch of stupid stuff. It would be interesting though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was an idiot too. Weren't we all at that age? Now that I know it's coming, I'm getting anxious to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's unbelievable! How did you know it was returned and is he just now trying to get in touch with you after all these years?

    I wrote a vent letter when I was about that age once and found it YEARS later when I was cleaning out some stuff. I had a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam~~A friend from high school got a hold of me and let me know what was going on. Our teacher told her that he had a lot of letters that were returned and I assumed mine was one of them.

    Now that I've gotten my panties out of a twist, I'm starting to get excited about it arriving. I'm sure I'll be watching for my mail carrier until it gets here, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great thing for him to do. You can prove to your children that you really were a teenager once.....you can see how much you have changed and grown and see what was important to that teenage girl you were back then. What a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an interesting assignment! Kind of like a time capsule that is uncovered years after being buried.

    I've gone back and read the diaries I kept as a child and find them laughable, more than anything else. Had I kept a journal in high school, I imagine I would have a more difficult time motivating myself to read those. It was such a dark time for me--it was hard enough living through it the first time. Still, I'd probably read through it once anyway just out of a morbid curiosity. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arlene~~The letter probably would be a good thing to share with my soon to be teenage daughter. I wasn't too terrible of a teenager so there shouldn't be much in there to give her bad ideas, lol.

    LF~~I think you've probably come closer to describing what reading the letter is going to be like than anyone else...morbid, lol. We'll see though. It should be here today or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.