Thursday, December 28, 2006

Are You Warm Enough

Yesterday C got into an argument in a chat room of all places with some guy about global warming. C and I often have discussions on global warming and the humans place in geological history. And then this morning on the Today show I saw a story on how polar bears have been put on the threatened species list. So, I thought I would share my views on this subject today after it snowed another 3 inches this morning.

As far as humans contributing to greenhouse gases, does anyone ever add to this point the fact that volcanoes release 110 million tons of greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere every year? Or that animals release greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere as well? How about the fact that humans are indigenous to the Earth and that our time spent here on this 4.5 billion year old rock is but a speck in the grand scheme of things? Ice Ages are a natural earth cycle as well as warmer periods. Dinosaurs as well as thousands of other species became extinct without any influence from humans in the Earth's history as well. Does anybody consider that the warming we're experiencing now is also a natural cycle that was going to happen no matter what technologies we have on Earth and no matter which species are currently roaming the surface?

Now, I believe in recycling, not burning your trash in the backyard, using those ineffective twisty bulbs (I hate them but I use them), and not leaving anything behind when you go hiking or to the beach and such. I also believe that we should be trying to change things that we can actually change: Prison reform, education reform, cleaning up our government (this one might be wishful thinking), keeping people from caging their children and microwaving babies, literacy, and finding ways to make it safe enough for our kids to play outside "until the street lights come on" again. As I'm always saying when it comes to my kids, "Pick your battles" or you'll end up constantly arguing and fighting about the same thing over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.