Monday, November 12, 2007

1 of 6

I have finished quite a few books in the last month and a half. 4 of them I already blogged about for the R.I.P. challenge. The others sorta got pushed aside due to my laziness. Now I just have to figure out where to begin. I think I'll go by publication date that way I won't be showing any favoritism, heheh.


Beaches by Iris Rainer Dart published in 1985.



What They Say:

Loudmouthed, redheaded Cee Cee Bloom has her sights set on Hollywood. Bertie White, quiet and conservative, dreams of getting married and having children. In 1951, their childhood worlds collide in Atlantic City. Keeping in touch as pen pals, they reunite over the years ... always near the ocean.

Powerful and moving, this novel follows Cee Cee and Bertie's extraordinary friendship over the course of thirty years as they transform from adolescents into adults. A bestselling novel that became a hugely successful film, Beaches is funny, heartbreaking, and a tale that should be a part of every woman's library.

What I Say:

I, of course, saw the movie way back when and I loved it. My sister and I used to watch it over and over and cry every time. I had no idea until my friend, Jennifer S., sent it to me as a gift that the movie had been based on a book. What a dunderhead I was. The movie didn't do the book justice but such is the way of movies adapted from books. Beaches was amazing. It was a bit darker than I had expected but it drew me in and I read it in a day.

To me, it was a story of what being a friend truly means. It's about tolerances, forgiveness, and loyalty. I can't wait to reread it again someday.



5 comments:

  1. Wow. You know, I don't think I ever knew that it was based on a book. Makes me really want to search it out and read it now. I absolutely adore the film. One of the first movies I can remember during which the ugly cry occurred! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam~~You so should take the time to read it. It's totally worth it and, if you don't think so in the end, it's a fast read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. count me in the boat that had no idea it was based on a book! i'll have to add that one to my "to read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is my favorite book. That is why I sent it to you. That, and it's about friends. :) I have read it a million times. I read it first when I was 13 and it was right before the movie came out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacki~~You'll have to post your thoughts once you read it. And I'm really glad to know I wasn't the only one that didn't know it was a book first. The movie came out in 1988 I didn't find out until 2007. Oh well.

    Jennifer S.~~I've thanked you before, but thanks again. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.