Friday, November 30, 2007

Out With a Bang?

Today's the last day of NaBloPoMo. I made it with 34 posts I think. Not too shabby.

Anyway, I keep forgetting to mention that I started reading War and Peace last weekend. I'm reading the new translation by Pevear and Volokhonsky. It's a very hard book to curl up with in bed because of its size (it's 1296 pages). I also have to keep two bookmarks in it: one to mark the page that I'm on and the other to mark the page of notes that I'm on that are in the back of the book. I like it so far though. The back and forth between the French and the English takes some getting use to, but after the first 100 pages it becomes old hat to read the English translation in the footnotes. It also took me a bit to get used to the Russian names. I was confusing the characters so I made note cards to keep track of them, lol.

I also finished my Christmas cards. They'll be going in the mail shortly. I'm mailing cards to nine different states including: Ohio, NC, Florida, CA, Iowa, Texas, Hawaii, Indiana, and Arizona. None are going overseas though.

And lastly, it's chilly here at my house today which inspired to me think of good things about the cold.

Pros:
  • Tap water comes out of the tap really cold so you don't need ice to chill it.
  • Cold kills the bugs although it hasn't been cold enough here for all the bugs to go away yet.
  • I can put my duvet on the bed which makes me feel cozy at night.

Cons

  • The cold sucks.

And now that NaBloPoMo is over, I hope that all the people that were blogging because of it don't stop. There are no worries where I'm concerned. I may not blog every single day of the month, but I'll blog at least 5 days a week. Ya know. Like I used to.

I just read about Holidailies. It's another posting challenge. I have one day to decide whether or not I want to participate. Is anyone else going to do it or is it just too much right after NaBloPoMo?? I don't know what I want to dooooo!!

7 comments:

  1. First, yes cold sucks...

    And I will post with you for December. I have very little else to do with my life... you know besides school, work, kids, ect...

    Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright then. We'll do the holidailies. I'll keep you going if you return the favor. ;) Make sure and check out the website. It's run a bit differently than NaBloPoMo was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on completing NaBloPoMo!

    Holidailes?! hmmm...I don't know if I'll do that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am on top of it. :) We can do this. But January, I swear I am taking that one off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alrighty then. I joined up. I'm just doing the home version of the challenge though. Here we go again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the version of War and Peace you are talking about during my last trip to B&N and considered getting it. I didn't as the size was a bit off putting. I read Pevear's translation of Anna Karenina at the beginning of the year and really liked it. I understand he's one of the better Russian translators.

    I hope to finish my Christmas cards this weekend.

    I think I would add runny nose to the cons of cold weather. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. LF~~I've heard nothing but rave reviews for Pevear's translations. His translation of Anna Karenina is on my future reading list.

    Runny noses is a definite con of cold weather.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.