Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thursday Meme

Our meme is back this week. It didn't make the blog last week because I was too busy shamelessly bragging about my new phone. 4 or 6 will be posted tomorrow.

The meme courtesy of Booking Through Thursday:

Today’s question comes from Conspiracy-Girl:I’m still relatively new to this meme so I’m not sure if this has been asked yet, but I’m curious how many of us write notes in our books. Are you a Footprint Leaver or a Preservationist?

I'm definitely not a person who writes in her books. I don't dog-ear the pages either. It seems almost sacrilegious to me. In one of my classes that I took a semester or two ago, my textbook said to mark in your books; make them your own. I gave this advice a lot of thought before I decided that I couldn't ruin my books with notes. I'm not so obsessive to where I worry about creasing the spine of my paperbacks though.

When I was in high school, my mom borrowed a book from a guy that she worked with under the strict condition that she return it to him without the spine being creased. We both managed to read the book and not crease the spine, but worrying about it the whole time took some enjoyment away from the story. Well, at least it did for me. I'm not sure what my mom thought.

I consider my books a collection and take care of them the best that I know how.

7 comments:

  1. I do jot in text books. But not in paperbacks.

    Spoiling the spine is a big no, no!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like you with the spines. Sometimes I succeed at not creasing the spine, but sometimes it's unavoidable (at least I think so). I just finished reading one of my husband's books and creased the spine. He's such a preservationist that I'm sure he'll grit his teeth when he sees his nearly new looking book with that line in the spine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your answer was similar to mine. I did write in some textbooks but it seems as if most were those that I purchased used and already were defaced. I guess it sort of gave me permission. ha! I know, no excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GT~~How do you read a paperback, especially a thick paperback, without creasing the spine? The book I mentioned in my post, when I was through reading it, the covers were bowed back in my effort to be able to see all the words and not crease the spine. Is one worse than the other?

    LF~~I totally agree about the unavoidability of creasing spines.

    Pam~~I also felt more free to highlight or mark passages in used textbooks that were already marked. In brand new $100+ books NO WAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are a lot alike when I comes to the treatment of our books!
    Thanks for stopping by earlier!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same way here!Funny how particular you can be over a book. Happy BTT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane~~Thanks to you too.

    Barbara~~At least we're not alone, huh? ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.