Tuesday, November 13, 2007

2 of 6

Our next book is

Wicked by Gregory Maguire.
Published in 1995.

What they say:


From Barnes and Noble


Synopsis
An astonishingly rich re-creation of the land of Oz, this book retells the story of Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West, who wasn't so wicked after all. Taking readers past the yellow brick road and into a phantasmagoric world rich with imagination and allegory, Wicked just might change the reputation of one of the most sinister characters in literature.
Newsday
Listen up, Munchkins. Stop your singing, stop the dancing. The Wicked Witch is no longer dead. But not to worry. Gregory Maguire's shrewdly imagined and beautifully written first novel, "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West," not only revives her but re-envisions and redeems her for our times.


What I say: I have hesitated saying too much about this book. It was really hard for me to get through having taken about 3 weeks total reading time and that's not counting the months it sat next to my bed after I read the first chapter, decided it wasn't for me, then decided I should finish it someday because I hate leaving books unfinished. I just didn't want to turn anyone off to the book because it was a good story. Maguire has an imagination that I have never seen before in an author. For Maguire to be able to write a story taken from such a classic as Frank L. Baum's Wizard of Oz and make his new tale a completely believable "what if" is an amazing talent in my opinion.

Yes, it was hard to get through but I am not sorry for the experience. I would say that it was probably just me but I've heard similar troubles from three other people who have or are attempting to read the book. I would still encourage people to read it and for those that are in the middle of reading it, don't give up!!

6 comments:

  1. I had a hard time finishing it as well. It currently sits unfinished on my book shelf.

    I might add though that the stage production is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the stage production is great. I would love to see it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It'll be in Charlotte in April! ;)

    RYC on Sparks: Yeah, I know what you mean. All his books are basically the same but Ive read his stuff from the beginning and can't stop for some reason. Although I nearly did after that True Believer/At First Sight crap. You might like his nonfiction "Three Weeks with my Brother" though.
    I met him once and his one of the most humble people I've met.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stage production is awesome, Trisha. If you get a chance, do see it. It varies a bit from the book, but its similar enough to carry most of the same story. Plus it's very entertaining. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was the best show I ever saw. :) The book is taking some time, but I am more interested now that I have seen the show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer~~I'll be really interested to know your thoughts on the book once you've finished it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.