Friday, February 09, 2007

Settling In

Getting used to being back in the military world after living in the civilian world for three years is going to take some getting used to. It's weird when everywhere you turn, there's a Marine. We've noticed some changes too i.e. uniform regulations and base decal procedures among other things. What's really different is the size of Cherry Point. That base is freaking huge. It strikes me everytime we're there. On base officer housing seems to be pretty nice. SNCO housing, on the other hand, is shameful. It's no wonder they're building new units. I don't understand how families have fit into the old housing. It doesn't look big enough for more than 2 people. I have no regrets on turning down base housing. At all. A.) I like living away from the base. And B.) Our house in nice and we have a reasonable rent.

Oh, and the people that I've heard in the past that have said that the commissary isn't worth it are missing a few marbles. Both times we've gone shopping for a week's worth of groceries since we've lived here, we spent about $100 each time. In Vermont, a week's worth of groceries ran us about $160-$170 a week. That is going to amount to huge savings for us. I just don't understand why people don't think the commissary saves you money. I have receipts that prove that it does.

2 comments:

  1. The commissary is completely worth it! We have a Food Lion really close to our house, but I always shop at the commissary because I love the savings. The only problem is that there are a lot of specialty foods that the commissary doesn't carry. But as long as you don't want to make a super special gourmet meal, then you should be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tried out the Food Lion and the Piggly Wiggly (hehe) and both times we spent way more than we would have at the commissary. They'll be fine for quick pick ups but not for weekly grocery shopping. And I agree with you about the specialty foods. Also, the produce section isn't spectacular either, but I'll live with it, lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.