Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Yuckiness

I'd have to say that this is my first not awesome day I've had since we've moved. Cramps, scratchy throat, and nasty gunk coming out of the nose makes for a not so great day. I'm probably going to end up with laryngitis by this evening. And to top it off, I have the welcome committee, literally, coming to my house tomorrow afternoon so I have to get ready for them today. Hopefully, I'll have a voice to talk to them with, lol.

I do have some pretty great news however. C registered for classes yesterday!! Woohoo!! I'm so very excited for him. He's taken some classes before but while he was recruiting, he wasn't allowed to take even one so he had to put his education on hold for three years. It's going to be a lot of fun taking classes together even though our semesters are different.

I'm reading a new book too. "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. It sounded interesting and is unlike books that I usually read so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm only about a chapter in so I haven't really formed an opinion yet. Here's a review and synopsis from Barnes and Noble if anyone is interested:


The Barnes & Noble Review from Discover Great New WritersThough all of our volunteer readers weighed in with "two thumbs up," we knew this was a winner when our fiction buyer -- not given to hyperbole -- declared it "one of the best books I've ever read!" Yann Martel's Life of Pi deserves every word of that praise. Drawing parallels between zoology and theology, Martel's novel is by turns amusing, intellectually astute, and poignant. And his Kiplingesque adventure tale will cause readers to reexamine beliefs of all kinds.
Meet Pi Patel, a young man on the cusp of adulthood when fate steps in and hastens his lessons in maturity. En route with his family from their home in India to Canada, their cargo ship sinks, and Pi finds himself adrift in a lifeboat -- alone, save for a few surviving animals, some of the very same animals Pi's zookeeper father warned him would tear him to pieces if they got a chance. But Pi's seafaring journey is about much more than a struggle for survival. It becomes a test of everything he's learned -- about both man and beast, their creator, and the nature of truth itself.
With a brilliant combination of sensitivity and a precise economy of language, Martel develops a story some readers might find less than credible. But his capacity for the mysterious, and a true understanding of the depths of human resilience will compel even the most skeptical of readers to continue on the fantastic journey with Pi, and an unusual 450-pound Bengal tiger named Richard Parker. (Summer 2002 Selection)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.