Thursday, March 08, 2007

Sweating the Small Stuff

I'm sitting here freaking out over my electric bill again. They'll be out to read the meter in the next 4 or 5 days. I checked it out myself today and we've already used 2320 kWh which amounts to about $260 and there's going to be a few more days added onto that. We sit around freezing our butts off a lot of the time since I have the thermostat set on 66 and it doesn't seem to be making a difference. I just have a really hard time believing that our energy bills (electric+heating oil) were more reasonable in VT than it is in NC (for just electric) where the temps have been in the 50's and 60's during the day for the most part. This is craziness. I have run out of ideas on how to conserve. We keep the lights off in rooms where we aren't in them, the water heater is set on the recommended 120 degrees, the thermostat is set on 66 (in VT I kept it on 72), we don't hang the fridge door open or any of the doors and windows for that matter, the duct work on the house was recently inspected, and the heater filters were recently changed too. What the heck else is there????

And on top of that expense, I called a roofer out to the house in VT to look at the snow situation there. He said that since Jan 1, they've gotten 99 inches of snow and that most people have 20 to 30 inches on their roofs. Added to that, it's supposed to rain this weekend which will make the snow denser and heavier. He said that most of the state is going to have to have the snow removed off of their roofs before Sunday. How freaking ridiculous is that?? Do I miss it there? Not on your freaking life!!

I feel a headache coming on.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip. I checked it out and found some very interesting information. Mostly, it verified that there's something up with this house and not with how we use electricity. Nice to know.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.