Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The New Television Season

This is a very long post so get your popcorn and hang on for the ride.

Is it just me or are there a lot of new television shows that are actually good this year? I've been enjoying quite a few of them the past couple of weeks. Too many in fact. Returning shows that I like combined with the new ones, two DVR's might not be enough. I already know that I watch waaaay too much tv but it's a compulsion and I don't wish to get better so keep your meds to yourself.


Here's a list of new shows that I'm giving a chance:


1. Chuck. It's quirky and silly but you can't help but wonder what's going to happen to Chuck, our unlikely hero.


2. Journeyman. I was leery of the premise of the show. Time traveler? Come on. But I watched it anyway because I love the lead man, Kevin McKidd formerly on HBO's Rome which I liked also. So far, I'm not disappointed. It's a little bit sci-fi, a little bit romance, a little bit feel good drama.


3. Back to You. Had to watch this one because of Kelsey Grammer and Patricia Heaton. I like the story lines and it's funny but I have a hard time looking at Kelsey Grammer and not see Frasier Crane. It doesn't help that he talks the same, has the same mannerisms, and he has the same pompous attitude that I was used to seeing on Frasier Crane for twenty years. As for Patricia Heaton, I have to wonder if she's a bitch in real life because she plays the part so well. Both on Everybody Loves Raymond and now on Back to You she's hard to like, imo. But I'm willing to give this show more of a chance just because of my loyalty to Grammer.

4. Private Practice. This one is a given. Of course I was going to watch this one being the huge Grey's Anatomy fan that I am. I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy this show as much as I do. I was also surprised that Addison isn't as much the main character as I thought she'd be since the show was spun off of her Grey's character. All that being said, I'll be shocked if this show goes the long haul. I think it'll make it through the whole '07-'08 season because of Shonda Rhimes and maybe even into next season, but is this one going to be a Friends, Frasier, or ER? Nope. I don't think so.

5. Dirty, Sexy, Money. I confess, I checked this one out because the critics said to do so. Oh. And I LOVE Donald Sutherland. Do I like it? The jury's still out on that one. The first episode didn't even have a point until the last five minutes. But I'm intrigued enough to give it another shot this week.

6. Big Shots. This is one that C wanted to watch so I figured what the heck. It's not that bad but they seem to be trying to make the guys on the show as seedy as they possibly can. Do men really sit around poolside sharing their infidelities and laughing about it? I should hope not. Am I watching this week? We'll see if my DVR has room. If not, it's out.

New shows I still want to try out and are waiting for me anxiously on my DVR:

1. Cane. Reason for wanting to watch: I've always liked Hector Elizondo and I don't mind Jimmy Smits.

2. Carpoolers. Reason for wanting to watch: It looks funny in the commercials and there aren't very many comedies on tv these days.

3. Pushing Daisies. Reason for wanting to watch: a.) It has an unusual premise, b.) Digby is in the list of characters, c.) The critics like it.

4. Life. Reason for wanting to watch: I like Adam Arkin and it just sounds interesting.

5. Moonlight. Reason for wanting to watch: I like the premise. It's vampires. And I missed the first episode but could download it for free on iTunes. What more do you need?

Returning shows that I LOVE:

1. Prison Break. I'm disappointed that Sarah Callies, Dr. Sara Tancredi, didn't return to the show this season. There's no word on if they're going to recast her character or just kill her off yet but I'm not sure what my preference would be. Other than that, this season so far is awesome. Love it. Plus, I just like looking at Wentworth Miller.

2. Two and a Half Men. I don't know how those writers keep coming up with such hilarious story lines but I laugh myself silly at each episode. Why they syndicated it after only four seasons to rerun is beyond me. It's too soon imo.

3. Bones. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this show. I was so glad to see Zach come back from Iraq. Whoo! That was a relief. It was funny watching Brennen try to find his replacement though, heheh.

4. ER. I've been a loyal fan since day one. I think the reason why this show has been able to stay on the air so long is that it reinvents itself constantly. Doctors are a dime a dozen and with each new one in and old one out, it creates a different atmosphere and thus, a new show. If you were to watch an episode from season 1 and one from this year, you wouldn't even think it's the same show. It's had it's ups and downs over the 13 years but overall, it's still a good show. I miss Carter.

5. Men in Trees. I really like the quirkiness of this show. I had my doubts it'd be any good at first because I really don't like Anne Heche, but she's good on here and I can't wait for the new episodes to air starting on the 12th.

6. Shark. One of the best lawyer shows imo. Sebastian Stark is such an ass that you have to love him. I was glad that Casey left the show though. There was just something about him that I didn't like. Maybe he was too much of a pretty boy or something. And I was thrilled that Jeri Ryan is going to continue on the show. I LOVE her.

And lastly...

7. Grey's Anatomy. You already know I'm a fanatic about this show. Primetime soap opera/medical drama series at it's best. There's too much to say about this show. I just love it to death. Fun times.


And that's it. Well, at least for the major networks. I didn't even list the shows I watch on TBS, TNT, HBO, etc. (I'll blog about them later.) Like I said, I watch waaaay too much tv and the DVR is the best invention of the modern world. That's not my opinion, that's fact. It's a good thing that I'm not a Law and Order or CSI fan. There aren't enough hours in the week for what I already like plus all of those shows.

4 comments:

  1. I watched Pushing Daisies tonight and L O V E D it. It had better get awesome ratings so it doesn't get canceled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have it DVR'd and I really can't wait to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prided myself on the fact that last TV season I cut way back on TV shows. Hubby and I have enjoyed watching TV via DVD's this summer, catching up on shows we had been interested in but didn't get to see when they aired.

    This season, like you, I've discovered a few new shows that I keep wanting to go back to.

    I am enjoying Chuck, although I'm not sure it will stick for me. It's a bit too silly for me overall, but it's great to see Adam Baldwin again. He was great in Firefly.

    Of the shows you mentioned, Journeyman is another I've been watching and really like. I think I was the only one not leery going into this one! Haha The previews made it sound like a cross between Early Edition and Quantum Leap, both shows I liked. And who can resist Kevin McKidd?

    As for Grey's Anatomy. I was sure I wouldn't be watching again this season. I wasn't completely thrilled with last season. I am glad I decided to tune in again this round. I need my weekly dose of Miranda.

    I have been watching Moonlight. I'm not sure what I think yet. I don't think it will last but you can never tell. My husband isn't singing its praises from the tree tops which usually means it won't be cancelled before mid-season.

    A couple of the ones I'm watching that you aren't: Heroes and Bionic Woman. If we ever get around to watching the 2nd season of The Supernatural on DVD, we may finally be able to watch the show when it airs on TV. It's not looking good though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Literary Feline,

    I have my doubts about Chuck too. I can enjoy the silliness to a point but it can get old.

    I can't believe you were thinking about not watching Grey's!! ::Gasp::

    I've been watching Moonlight too...sorta. The acting in it is bad. Baaaad. I think I'm going to let that one go to the wayside.

    As for Heroes, Bionic Woman, and Supernatural, I haven't caught one minute of those shows. I've been tempted to tune in but I'm trying to be strong, lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.