Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Our Trip

I'm back. We had a really good time over the weekend. We got home Sunday evening and my feet still hurt from all the walking this morning.

Saturday we went to a festival in downtown Norfolk. It was sorta lame but we got to see some animals and that's always fun. From there we went back to the Nauticus and toured the USS Wisconsin again. The first time, we didn't have enough time to see the whole thing so we made up for it this go around. After that, we checked into our hotel, which was really nice, and then we went to the Botanical Gardens. I love botanical gardens and this one was really huge. In addition to plants and flowers we got to see tons of Canadian geese, a red fox, a toad, and a turtle. The turtle was the first one I've seen since we moved down this way that wasn't a pancake in the road. Next, we had dinner which was the funny part of the day.

See. I absolutely HATE buffets. I've never been to one that had good food that wasn't dried up and nasty from sitting under heat lamps. And the last time we went to Virginia Beach, we had this completely inedible seafood buffet that was overpriced. You had to pay for soda refills for pete's sake. But, M wanted crab legs. I looked through the hotel restaurant guide and couldn't decide on what sounded good so we asked the guy at the front desk for a recommendation. He immediately named this seafood buffet and I mentally groaned. But, he promised it was good so we tried it out. IT WAS GOOD! Talk about being shocked. And the funny part...M ate FIVE sets of crab legs and that's not to mention the crawfish, shrimp, scallops, and other stuff she ate too. And people try to claim I don't feed that child enough, lol. And the really funny part is that we got to pay the child price for her, heheh. Little did they know that she can pack away the seafood. She ate more than both me and C. The three of us also tried something new: softshell crab. It was...ummm...good. Alright. None of could get past what it was to eat it so we didn't eat it. Sue me.

After all that, we hit the hotel for the night in total exhaustion.

Sunday, after breakfast, we decided to go ahead and start off for the Outer Banks. There, we went down through Kitty Hawk to Kill Devil Hills where we saw the Wright Brothers National Memorial. That was fun. It was a lot of walking but knowing the history made it neat. Plus, having grown up in Ohio and in the Dayton area where the Wright Brothers are from made it all the more special. Kind of like book ends. From there we drove down to Jockey's Ridge State Park where the tallest sand dunes on the east coast are located. That was pretty cool. Then we drove home through Nags Head to Roanoke Island and Manteo.

All in all, it was a good time. The weather on Sunday was perfect, the kids were well behaved, and we didn't have to worry about the dogs destroying the house. The one downer is that I forgot my digital camera. I really could have kicked myself. But, we bought a disposable so I'll have pictures eventually but I have to get them developed. I have no idea who has good picture developing. I also have a few pictures that I took with my cell but the quality won't be that good. See what I mean?

That's the view from the top of the Wright Bros. Memorial.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you had a good time. Like you, I am not a fan of buffets. My father adores them and still doesn't understand why I don't care for them. I am glad that your experience on your trip though turned out to be really good. That makes it not so bad. :-)

    I love botanical gardens. So beautiful and calming. I'm terrible at gardening and would prefer not to spend much time doing it, but I do love the end results.-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    And although we had a good buffet experience, I still don't consider myself a fan. I choose to be the eternal pessimist and consider the experience a fluke. ;)

    And you and I are totally in sync about gardening. I'm too lazy to be good at it and I kill everything except for cactus. There has to be irony in that.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.