Thursday, October 18, 2007

Thursday Meme

Here's our Thursday meme courtesy of Booking Through Thursday.

You may or may not have seen my post at Punctuality Rules Tuesday, about a book I recently bought that had the actual TITLE misspelled on the spine of the book. A glaring typographical error that really (really!) should have been caught. So, using that as a springboard, today’s question: What’s the worst typographical error you’ve ever found in (or on) a book?

When I read, typos really stick out for me. I notice them constantly in books, magazines, and even on food labels. In fact, I've seen so many that I can't think of just one that I would consider to be the worst. They're so commonplace, unfortunately, that they don't even really bother me anymore. I laugh, point them out to my husband, and keep reading. What really rubs me the wrong way is when I'm reading a series of books and the author mistakenly changes facts down the line that are pertinent to the story. That's irritating. However, if I were to find a mistake such as the title being misspelled, I would be incredibly disappointed. That's such an obvious mistake that someone in the publishing process should have caught it before the book hit the shelves.

Happy Thursday!

4 comments:

  1. I just finished Nathalie Mallet's The Princes of the Golden Cage, and although the story was quite gripping, I couldn't help being pulled out of it rather a bit by frequent errors (raking one's brain instead of wracking it?! That's a painful image). The worst example, though, was actually a book I picked up that purported to be a creative writing course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I particularly notice errors in advertisements, signboards etc etc,

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister's favorite example? A "Golden Book" she'd gotten for my niece when she was little, about Poky the Puppy (or something like that). The first sentence of the book? It started "Oky the puppy...."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather~Mistakes like that would probably bother me too especially if it was supposed to be about writing. Books of that nature should be typo-free.

    Gautami~I notice those as well. I found one on a box of cereal once, lol.

    Deb~That made me laugh. I had that book as did my daughters.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.