Thursday, October 25, 2007

Thursday Meme

Welcome to Thursday's Meme brought to you courtesy of Booking Through Thursday.

I would enjoy reading a meme about people’s abandoned books. The books that you start but don’t finish say as much about you as the ones you actually read, sometimes because of the books themselves or because of the circumstances that prevent you from finishing. So . . . what books have you abandoned and why?

There are only two books that I've ever started and put down unfinished, knowing I was never going to pick them up again. Those books were Moby Dick and it was assigned reading, and It. For me, bad books are like bad movies: I stick with them to the end. With Moby Dick and It, they were really loooong books that I found to be verrry boring and not worth the effort. But you know what? I'll end up reading It sometime in my lifetime just because it's Stephen King.

In the same vein, I am currently "in the middle" of two books (a rarity in itself) that I only find mildly interesting, they're taking me forever to read, but I am determined to finish them no matter what. One is Yann Martell's Life of Pi and the other is Maguire's Wicked. To be fair, Wicked picked up considerably after the first two chapters. I only put it down to read challenge books. Life of Pi, however, I have my doubts. I intend to finish both books but you know what they say about intentions.

9 comments:

  1. I think Life of Pi is worth sticking with, its can be hard going though i know

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Crafty Green Poet: stick with Life of Pi. It's a little hard to get into, but it's wonderful once you get into the magic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CGP and Teabird~~I was really hoping I would get encouragement to read Life of Pi. I'll probably pull it off the shelf today and try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moby Dick was one of my least favourite books ever. I'm glad to see someone had the courage to put it down. Every second chapter seemed to be "How To De-Blubber A Whale"!

    Glad to hear you're going to pick up Pi again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never read the books you listed, but I want to wish you luck to finish reading both books...or maybe not *grin*....

    Happy BTT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm like you. I HATE leaving a book unfinished. It just doesn't FEEL right, ya know?? I haven't read Life of Pi. It has never really looked all that interesting to me, although so many people tell me to read it.

    Maybe one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life of Pi is worth plodding through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. John~~I never thought of it as courage before, but thanks.

    Julia~~Thanks! :)

    Stephanie~~I'll be sure and post my thoughts on Pi when I finish it.

    GT~~Everyone's encouragement has further piqued my interest in Pi. Rest assured, I'll def be giving it another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read Wicked last year and it certainly had slow parts in the middle. I really enjoyed the end once Dorothy showed up, but it took such a long time to get there.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.