Friday, October 26, 2007

R.I.P. Book Review #3


The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde


I have to say that I was a bit disappointed with this book. At the time it was written, it was surrounded with so much controversy that I have always found its origins, Wilde himself, as well as the synopsis of the story to be very intriguing. All of this combined, I think I set myself up for disappointment.

At times, it could be challenging just to turn the pages. Wilde could go on and on about details such as the things Dorian collected and his hobbies to the point where it all became muddled in your mind. The dialogue and character interaction were excellent and what I enjoyed most about the story.

I thought the ending extremely predictable. Somebody on GoodReads pointed out to me that it was probably predictable because of the history of the book, Wilde, and the sensationalism that surrounded its publishing. While I certainly concede this point, before reading it, I don't recall ever knowing how it ended. You could, however, see it coming from the first chapter.

I have to wonder, if there hadn't been so much controversy over the homoerotic themes in the story, would it have become a classic at all? Probably because Wilde was considered to be such a celebrated playwright. On its own? I'm not so sure.

Despite my feelings about this book, Wilde's words still make for the best signature line quotes.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. The story itself was great, but the execution of the prose left something to be desired. I can see why it is considered a classic, but it was a struggle to turn the pages at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raidergirl~~I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt this way about the book. Most reviews that I've read by other people, not just critics, gush about it. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too was disappointed in this one. I wonder now, after reading your review, if perhaps my expectations could have played a part in my lukewarm feelings for the book.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.