Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Christmas Edition #1


Thanks to Jennifer S's mom for the list of topics.

Traditions.



Growing up, we only had a few Christmas traditions. One was leaving out cookies for Santa. We didn't do the reindeer food thing with the oatmeal and glitter. I had never heard of that until I had kids of my own. Funny story: At my dad's house, we used to leave Santa something a little different for when he stopped by our house. My dad said that Santa liked bologna sandwiches and beer instead of milk and cookies so that's what he got. And lo and behold, Santa loved our treat, lmao.

We were also allowed to open on present on Christmas Eve right before we went to bed for the night.

Another tradition was driving all over the place visiting on Christmas Eve and Christmas day because my parents were divorced. As a kid, I used to think it was nifty because I was getting presents at all these different houses. As an adult, I do my darndest to stay in my own house and not see anybody except my husband and kids.

Now that I'm grown with a family of my own, I have carried on the tradition of cookies for Santa but we also leave out reindeer food. I'm trying to break our tradition of last minute shopping and wrapping, lol. We get better and better about it every year. Oh. And ham. We have a Christmas ham every year. Ham is for Christmas, turkey is for Thanksgiving. I dream and drool for ham gravy every year. YUMMM!!

6 comments:

  1. ok lmao @ santa liking bologna sandwiches and beer!! that's fab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heheh. Yeah. My sister and I look back on it and laugh but at the time, that's what we really thought Santa liked to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oatmeal and glitter for reindeer . . . I've never heard of that either. My brother and I used to leave out carrots for the reindeer though. And sometimes celery. :-) Always Santa got cookies and milk or maybe a soda if we thought he needed caffeine to help him get through the night.

    I have become a last minute shopper. Last minute being anytime after Thanksgiving. Since I mail out so many of our family gifts, I like to have them all read to go by the first of December. Not so lucky this year.

    I enjoyed reading through your memories, Trisha! I like hearing how other people spend the holidays. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LF~~I had never heard of reindeer food either until my kids came home from school with it a few years ago. Now, it's a tradition. I like the idea of leaving out caffeine. Even Santa needs a pick me up.

    I would like to be one of those people who have their shopping done before November. It seems like it would be such relief.

    I'm glad you enjoyed the post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey. My mom wanted to leave you a comment but she doesn't have google so she left it on mine. Beer and Bologna for Santa is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jennifer's Mom!! Thanks for the comment. I'm going to have to tell my dad that people think his beer and bologna is funny.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.