Thursday, December 13, 2007

Thursday Meme

Courtesy of Booking Through Thursday.

Do you use any of the online book-cataloguing sites, like Library Thing or Shelfari? Why or why not? (Or . . . do you have absolutely no idea what I’m talking to?? (grin))
If not an online catalog, do you use any other method to catalog your book collection? Excel spreadsheets, index cards, a notebook, anything?

I just posted about this last week. Funny timing. Anyway, I've tried all three of them. I found LibraryThing to be tedious when it comes to adding books to your library so I stopped using it and tried GoodReads. I like GoodReads well enough. I like their widget the best out of all of the cataloging sites. Then, I tried Shelfari. Between GoodReads and Shelfari, I can't really decide which one I like the best. Shelfari has my most complete library on it, however, but I'll probably keep using Shelfari and GoodReads at the same time because I have friends on both of them.

From what I can tell, people like LibraryThing the best because of the tagging feature. You can do that on Shelfari too so what's the difference? And what makes tagging so much of a desired feature? And what makes people willing to deal with LibraryThing's limitations when it comes to the size of your library? You can only add so many books before you have to pay for it. I can't see paying for something that you can get for free at two other places.

9 comments:

  1. I had already paid for Library Thing before I knew about the others so I guess that's where I am for the most part now! Don't know if I can be bothered to go through and reenter them all again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I saw someone else complaining that she got really long load times on Shelfari, which I know would drive me nuts, but I haven't tried them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I found Library Thing last year, I went ahead and purchased the life-time subscription. Figured I would use it!! I'm gradually adding my books. But with the amount I have, it could take a while!!

    Happy Thursday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marg~~It's def a lot of work to catalogue at multiple sites. If I could make a decision, I'd stick with just one too, lol.

    Heather~~I haven't had any problems with Shelfari so far. I haven't been using that site for very long though.

    Stephanie~~Cataloging sure takes a long time but I think it's worth it in the end.

    GT~~Glad I could be of service. You'll have to post what you think about it. I'd be interested to know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trisha, I have found that tagging on Shelfari is not quite as simple as it is on LibraryThing. Maybe I'm just not all that familiar with Shelfari, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get out of that awkward bookshelf mode to make a list and do mass tagging all at once like I can with LibraryThing. I've also found that when adding books to Shelfari, it takes longer--there are more steps that I have to go through, more screens, whereas with LibraryThing it's so much simpler because everything is right there. I think so anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use a shelf, it's made of wood. I got it at Wal-Mart. When I look for a book, I get up and go look. I also keep books on nightstands, in purses, under the bed, next to the couch, in the desk, and under the car. I guess I am sooooo out of touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LF~~See? I thought the same thing about Library Thing with there being more steps to add books. So, I think it can all be chalked up to personal preference.

    Jennifer~~That was a very smart aleck-y response. I'm proud.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.