Monday, December 03, 2007

Too Many Choices


I started out on LibraryThing. It was okay. I recently read that LibraryThing is more for "librarian/metadata types". Maybe that's why I decided that I like GoodReads and Shelfari better. What I would actually wish for is to be able to take features from all three and combine them into the perfect online forum for my library.


GoodReads Pros
  • They have nice widgets.

  • You can make as many shelves as you would like, i.e., for classics, fiction, biographies, etc.

  • The shelves are easy to customize

GoodReads Cons



  • While you have a "to read" shelf, if you were to make a "wish list" shelf, those books would be added into your library count.
  • I would like to be able to make a wish list of books that I want without them being counted as books I already own. My "to read" shelf only consists of books I currently own.

Shelfari Pros



  • I like that you can leave other uses quick notes.

  • You can make notes about your books, i.e., their condition, when you read them, etc., that other users can't see.

  • They have a "Wish List" shelf that does exactly what I want it to do (see above).

  • When you click on a book, you can see what other people thought of it, even if they just gave it a star rating. You can also see what reading groups have added that particular book to their group.

  • I like the home page the best out of all three sites.

Shelfari Cons



  • You can't make customized shelves. At least I haven't yet figured out how if you can.

  • I wish that the "date read" were visible to other users.

See my dilemma? Shelfari currently has my most complete library. If I can't decide, I'll just use them both, lol

P.S.


I can't believe that it's Dec 3 and it's 70 degrees outside. Vermont is getting 6-12 inches of snow, hehehe.

4 comments:

  1. I have tried all three myself. I gave up on GoodReads. It wasn't at all what I was looking for. I just joined Shelfari because I have a few friends who prefer that site, but it lacks so much of what I would like to do with a program like that. I've been with LibraryThing for a year now and I still love it. I prefer it over the rest. It may not be as pretty a site, but I can do so much more with it--make lists, easy mass tagging, and a few other features which the other two fell way short on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not 100% happy with any of them. I figure that I didn't give LibraryThing enough of a chance since that seems to be the preferred site over the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I like Shelfari the best but I eventually abandoned it and haven't updated in forever. I've tried GoodReads too but didn't care for it. I haven't tried Library Thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam~It can be hard to keep them updated if you read a lot.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.