Saturday, June 02, 2007

Debates

Today, I had a really great conversation with my neighbor. We had met before at a school function (her son is in M's class and her daughter is in S's class) but it's really hard to have a decent conversation at those things. Well, today we got to chatting over the fence (how very suburban of us) and I ended up walking to her house so we could actually sit and talk. What was our conversation about? Religion. Yep. I hardly talk religion with anybody because I have such strong and abnormal opinions about it. Also, considering C's background and mine, religion is a subject better off left completely alone. But L (my neighbor) is intelligent enough to know that two people can disagree and it doesn't have to mean that you have to hate each other and that you don't have to have identical ideals to be friends. She's very religious and she and her husband are very active in their church. I'm agnostic and I believe in evolution. We had so much to say about it and from from the complete opposite ends of the spectrum. It was great. Most religious conversations I've ever had basically went like this: I'm right, you're wrong and I don't care what you have to say to back up your opinions. We plan on picking the conversation back up at a later date. I wasn't done and neither was she, lol.

I had planned on blogging about this subject but have decided against it. If I did it would end up being me thumbing my nose at the way I was brought up rather than an unbiased, well-rounded, and informed view on religion. I don't want to do that but I know I wouldn't be able to help myself. Sorry Dana.

Anyway, what's also great about L, besides the fact that she is able to speak intelligently, is that her husband is in the Army so we can relate and all of our kids are the same age and they like to play together. And now I'm waaaay behind on my school work because I spent most of the afternoon with L. So, off I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.