Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Check It...

Here's the scenario:

You're told at work that you have to donate a certain amount of money for your company's CFO's retirement party. Is it optional? Not really because your immediate supervisor tells you that if you don't put up your share of the dough that you'll have to go and see the CEO to explain why you're such a cheapskate which could result in A.) A demotion B.)Getting fired C.) Public humiliation or D.)Any combination of the above.

Question:

Should this "donation" be considered necessary for company morale and for showing appreciation for the retiring CFO or is this extortion? What would you do in a similar situation? And the amount of the donation is not a factor. You can afford it.

5 comments:

  1. Well, if they retiring guy was any good then I probably like this job right? So I wouldn't even think twice about handing over the cash. However, if this guy is some ass and I hate working there, I'd already be looking for a new job anyway so who cares what they think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well me being the person i am i would not "donate" the money. the reason being i dont like to be told what and how much i need to "donate". i guess i would just have to look for a new job. sounds like the company is pretty crappie since thay cant fork up thew money themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer S,
    It's not really about whether or not you like the guy, it's more about being blackmailed, basically, into contributing to his retirment party/gift by people who have authority over you and your job in their hands.

    Jennifer J,
    I see what you're saying. I guess it would be a crappy company that couldn't afford to throw a retirement party themselves, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wouldn't consider it blackmail if I knew the guy, liked the guy and liked the company.. just see it as doing my part. If I hated them all then I would consider it blackmail and I wouldn't pay up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. I see what you're saying.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.