Friday, July 20, 2007

Double Standards

C and I have discussed this topic so some of this is from a man's viewpoint as well as a woman's.

  1. Men bond and women gossip. Over the years, C has been with quite a few different units but one thing remains the same: Men gossip just as much as women do, if not more so. They just call it bonding. I call it what it is: gossiping. Why must men get away with labeling it with a more positive word and women get to be called names? Let's all be honest.
  2. If a man finds out that his buddy's wife is cheating on him, he will feel obligated to tell his buddy that he's with a cheating whore. If the same man finds out that his buddy is cheating on his wife, they'll keep it to themselves not wanting to "get involved" in someone else's private matters or they'll be thinking, "You dog!!" Personally as a woman, I have never been able to figure out what is the right thing to do in this situation.
  3. A woman being a stay at home mom is more socially acceptable than a man being a stay at home dad. If a man stays at home with his kids while his wife works, he is looked at as being a wimp, possibly a homosexual, OR he's just a deadbeat who'd rather sit on his ass than work.

I know there's more out there, but this is my list for now.

What's my point? No matter how "evolved" we think we are, we still have ideals of what the role of a man and a woman should be. I'm definitely not exempt from this. I get irritated that I'm the typical housewife and mother that is expected to cook, clean, and take care of the kids and that's it. At the same time, I expect my husband to mow the lawn and take out the trash. It's a double standard. I admit it. I have no solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.