Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Willdlife of Various Species

Yesterday's drama resulted in a neighborhood confab where I met several neighbors of the species Dramadis Gossipus. Talk about middle class American angst, lol. Good thing is that I was able to chat with the mom of one of M's friends and we agreed to swap babysitting. Yay! This means that C and I might actually get to go out without the kids more than once a year. What a luxury that will be.

Other species we've recently encountered in our backyard:

This is an Eastern Worm Snake, Carophophis amoenus.

This is a Southern Toad, Bufo terrestris.

And this is Green Anole, Anolis carolinensis, as seen in it's brown state which is how it looked when we saw it in the backyard.


All are non-venomous which is a good thing. We like wildlife so the girls were pretty excited to see these animals in our yard. These animals are quite different from the turkeys, deer, and fox we were used to seeing in our yard in Vermont but neat all the same. Oh, and we saw some jellyfish at the beach last weekend too. The girls actually caught one in their sand bucket which was later released back into the ocean. I don't believe in taking wildlife out of its environment and besides, what the heck would we do with a jellyfish???

On that note...How do you know when you live near the ocean? When you repeatedly find shark teeth at the bottom of the dryer.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH I WOULD MUCH RATHER HAVE THE FOX, DEER, OR ANYTHING OTHER THAN THOSE CREATURES. I WOULD NEVER STEP FOOT OUTSIDE IN YOUR YARD EVER AGAIN IF I WAS YOU! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. Nah. They're harmless. We like 'em.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave me one. Now.